Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tie

Today I learned how to tie a tie.

Interesting, no? Put it around your neck. Loop once, twice, up through the neck hole than down through the last loop you made. Tighten.

I guess I never learned before, any time I needed a tie I was a small child, so my mom would do it, or it was a clip on.

There was something strangely unfamiliar about the feeling. The fabric around the neck. The tightness at the collar. It's been five years since my last prom, which I think is the last time I needed to wear one.

I guess what was weirdest about it was that I was actually enjoying it. For me, I think it represents a chance to start something new. Also, it represents a chance to crack my way into a new population that I've never been a part of: the urban professional.

It isn't hard. Two loops and pull it up, then down. I could have done this as a kid.

I really could have done this as a kid.

It always seemed like it would be so hard. You go through the motions as a child, and it seems so far away. Yet, here I am, looking at that image in the mirror.

And, I'll admit it. I'm afraid because it wasn't so hard.

I could have done this as a kid. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment